Monday, August 11, 2014

Enchilada Casserole


I made a couple changes to the original recipe. I'm not a fan of corn so I just removed it from the recipe. Also, the original uses a slow cooker. I needed dinner to be ready somewhat soon, so I popped it in the oven instead. The casserole dish I used was probably 7x11 or 8x12.

Ingredients:
9 6-inch corn tortillas
2 10-oz canned enchilada sauce
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Use a pan to slightly brown the tortillas. Reserve about 5-oz of enchilada sauce (half a can). Combine beans and remaining sauce in a bowl.
3. Mist casserole dish with cooking spray. Place 3 tortillas in bottom, breaking one into pieces if necessary to cover bottom. Spread half of bean/sauce mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat with 3 more tortillas, remaining bean mixture, and 1/2 cup cheese. Top with 3 remaining tortillas, reserved sauce and remaining 1 cup cheese.
4. Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

I shared this dish with my two 12 year-old exchange student girls and there was plenty for seconds as well as leftovers for my lunch the next day. (I apologize for the poor picture quality.)

Putting all the ingredients together in the casserole dish.

Finished and ready to cook.

The final outcome of Enchilada Casserole.
After dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment